Tuesday 31st

Cloudy murky day although the sun did peep through occasionally, cold with a breeze in the afternoon.

Brief report from the field.

Went flying early this afternoon very cold with steady easterly breeze. Took with me yet another new autogyro called the "Cranefly" this is a single rotor gyro that fly's like a trainer. Even I can fly it, sorry but no photo's of it flying as I was on m own so static photo only.

Regards Gyrosteve

Back in CB's workshop/garden, the Enya 90 is now in place on the Funtana 90S and being test run. Lots of power and very smooth throttle response. Only niggle with the Enya 90 is the position of the needle valve which extends from underneath while the choke is on top this is opposite to most four strokes.

Few more little mods, taller undercarriage being the main, possibly a new cowling. Should be ready to fly by the weekend.

Monday 30th

Cold mainly sunny day no wind.

No reports of any flying from anybody.

Usual Monday in the workshop, no major repairs but lots of minor fettling including rewiring of my Sullivan starter which died on Sunday afternoon. Normally bullet proof the Sullivan's only weakness is the power cables which are prone to breaking internally where they enter the starter. Now replaced with heavy duty silicone wire.

Magnatila back on the bench, after a good clean and adjustment to the throttle travel ran a hot iron over the fuselage to tighten the covering, looking really good now. Quick test run of the motor to make sure it shuts down from the transmitter and she is ready for the next session.

Battery testing continues plus a few other minor tasks before getting back on with the Funtana 90.

Sunday 29th

Virtually calm although a light north westerly drift in the afternoon to those who notice such things. Misty grey conditions made flying difficult.

Ken had two new models.

(Right) A charming little rudder/elevator only bipe. Powered by an OS26 fourstroke.

Quite an unusual vintage biplane. The grey conditions don't do it justice in the photos. The red transparent wings and white fuselage will look great with sun on them.

Needs a pilot to look just right. 

(Below) Control line Me109.

Power from a DC Super Sabre much breathed on by Ken.

Couple of static shots a far to fast in the air.

Saturday 28th

Sunny day light northerly drift no rain.

Jonathan and Marley replaced the walk way across the track with new wooden pallets.

With the addition of ramps at both ends it will be usable by buggies.

These pallets are far stronger than the elderly plastic ones making crossing a lot safer.

In the afternoon Paul, Jonathan & I had an enjoyable drive in the Cotswold collecting items for the club.

Another good indoor session.

(Left) Depron Heinkel 111, uses radio/motor from Silverlit twin, control is through the motors using differential thrust for steering.

Flew some nice circuits after a few false starts.

More guided free flight than radio control.

Friday 27th

The unsettle weather continues, blustery with occasional showers the more northerly wind bringing the cold back.

Funtana engine change continues. Now losing .8 Kg off the front of any airframe is going to up set the C of G somewhat. The model had always been a tad nose heavy but the loss of 800 grams puts the old balance point a bit aft even for my liking.

But help is at hand, sitting under the tail plane are 3 of JR's finest and heaviest high powered metal geared servos, a massive 6 ozs of plastic and metal. The two JR DS8321 (2 oz each 125 oz/ins of torque) were replaced with DS821 (1.5 oz each 72 oz/ins of torque) and the JRDS8411 on the rudder removed altogether. This will be mounted in the centre of the fuselage and connected to the rudder by closed loop.

Thursday 26th

Cool but sunny day punctuated by heavy and sometimes wintery showers. Windy in the morning dropping during afternoon.

Cycling and checking continues, plus more sorting of airframes and eventually there is enough space for the Funtana 90S to be moved onto the bench.

I have two Hanger 9 Funtana 90S airframes, one electric which still flies as it arose from the ashes back in 2006. The second is IC, powered by a 25cc petrol engine of European manufacture. It was built from parts that I had obtained during 2006/7 and flew during the summer of 2007.

I never did get on with the motor, fitting a tuned pipe certainly made for a very spirited model but without any power curve. Eventually after going back to a normal exhaust I stored the airframe away.

Last year I decided to put the model back to a glow engine. The engine of choice would be a Saito FA-125A four stroke, but I don't have one (yet) but I do have a pair of Enya 90's destined for a big twin.

So why glow over petrol?

Weight, well that's my argument. Petrol engines need ancillary items, these items weigh the same regardless of the size of the engine, not much of a problem if the engine if 70 plus cc. but with a 25 cc engine they are in my view a lot of weight to carry around.

The figures 25cc petrol 1.64 Kgs (57 ozs.) Enya 90 .825 Kgs (39 ozs).

(Left) 25 cc Petrol plus all it's ancillaries sitting in fronts of the Funtana 90S.

(Below left) All the parts to be removed all 1.65 kilos 40% of the total weight of the model.

(Below) .825 Kgs of Enya 90 to replace it. Just makes such sense.



Wednesday 25th

Cloudy conditions with westerly breeze a few drops of rain.

Magnatila back on the workbench!! Obtained a pump but it is the wrong sort, designed for petrol or diesel, plus it needs a pressure nipple tapped into the engine back plate. No room in the short engine bay to run a pipe off.

Give up on big tank, remove and replace with more sensible size 8 oz. Run a complete tank through without any problems.

Start cycling NiCad & Nimh receiver packs. Quite a few to do if not up to reasonable capacity then they will go in the bin. Using the automatic charge/discharge program I usually run then through four cycles to give a good test. Will take about a week to check all packs.

Tuesday 24th

Another grey day with light winds few rain drops late afternoon.

Family commitments kept me busy all day so a few photos from the archive for your enjoyment.

Monday 23rd

From the forecast thought I might get out for a bit of quiet helicopter practice but the rain showers didn't clear till late afternoon which was a pity as the winds remained light all day.


Sunday 22nd

A dry cloudy day not to cold even in the wind. A good westerly breeze gave ideal conditions for lift on the west face of Selsley common.

The traditional Boxing day pylon race had been abandoned due low cloud though technically it becomes fog when it reaches the ground.

Rescheduled for today Pete (The Hat) Wolfenden who has run these events for many years stepped again up to the mark. Can't help but feel he was a bit overwhelmed by numbers that came bearing models over the common. Eighteen actually flew this has to be a record.

Most flew purpose built foamy type racers, Pete had is small moulded racer plus one other competitor with  a fully moulded glass/carbon F3F machine, with the benefit of hindsight probably not the right machine.

I have not raced for many years and only managed a couple of quick test flights during the previous week. Two second places in my heats just got me into the final race. Got a good start, in fact to good as I jumped the start line a couple of seconds early and had to circle back and cross the start line again, played catch-up for the next ten laps.

Phil try's for a group shot and fails best he could do was seven from eighteen. Pete "The Hat" ponders his score board while a time keeper try's to stay awake.
Helpers identify models to the far flagmen prior to the start. Then there off, 30 seconds to gain height then the race begins.
(Above & top left) Three flying wing racers in action. Including my own JW wing. A distinctive colour scheme is a must.

(Bottom left) Acacia fully moulded F3F glider. Left me standing in the first round.

During the second round I was commenting on it's performance to Jim F. and add it was a brave man who raced such a model when there was the crunch of a midair and the Acacia was no more.

This was the only midair of the morning but they are a risk in multi model slope racing that's why 16 out of the 18 models were foam based.

The Acacia's performance would have taken it without to victory but at a price.

Zagi type racer the model that started the foam revolution. Pete's 60" glass racer the only other moulded model flown
(Above) The Winners model in action model, like all racing a quick model flown smoothly on the correct  line will most days see you over the line first.

(Left) Victor John Davis collects the SCSA trophy from Pete the hat. 

Rest of results 2nd; Aide Mesbeth. 3rd: John Bennet. 4th; Chris Bishop.

All pictures courtesy Phil de fridge.

Saturday 21st
Breezy day no reports from the field.

Good turnout indoors. Charged batteries in the camera so tried for a few pics. The Bentham dome may be geat for flying but it is not good for photography, least that's my excuse.

So a bit of a montage of shots that demonstrates; (A) a poor quality camera, (B) time I read the manual assuming I can find it, (C) that I can read or (D) no photographic skills what so ever. Phil come back all is forgiven. 


Friday 20th

Westerly breeze grey and overcast all day, no rain.

Only a couple of quick tasks in the workshop.

(Above left) Phil added a couple of ounces of best grade "church roof" to the nose the JW wing using his trade mark green & yellow electrical tape. (Above right) Cut away bottom of nose, to find more "church roof" this was also removed to leave a large hole below the battery pack, an equivalent amount of fine lead shot was mixed with a slow curing epoxy resin then poured into the aperture, tomorrow will cap with foam reshape and cover.
(Left) Yes it's the Mantilla back on the test stand.

The exhaust pressurises the large tank, the clunk in the main tank feeds the small tank, the vent on the small tank returns overflow back to the main tank the header tank remains full. The clunk in the header feeds the carburettor.

Unfortunately the exhaust pressure is not great enough to keep the header full and the header level drops until the engine stops.

Need to fit a Regulating pump.

Thursday 19th

Rain in the morning cleared to sunny afternoon, wind south westerly.

Last chance to test fly my two gliders ready for Sunday. Rise from the sofa just after lunch to check that my dear wife had packed the correct airframes in the car and that she had run the engine long enough to warm the seats. "Fresh air will do you good" she tells me before returning to her sick bed.

The wind was a straight onto the corner at Frocester and combined with passing thermal activity conditions difficult. The first couple of flights the JW Wing struggled to gain height and speed, landing out Phil had a third go with similar results. Phil blamed the C of G and set to searching through flyers bags fro some extra lead.

Meanwhile the Phase 6 had no trouble in the conditions, a very good test flight with only a slight reduction in the elevator movement needed. The Phase Six may be a bit of a dated design but it still flies very well a credit to Chris Foss's design.

With a bit of lead on the nose and with conditions improving the next flight of the JW Wing was faultless good turn of speed and maintaining energy through the turns, just what you need to race with.

JW wing (with extra nose weight) groves across the sky. (Phil H. pictures)
Phase 6, coasting in the conditions. Pete W's "Sting" somewhere over the rainbow, Phil's artistic shot of the day.
Wednesday 18th

Wind back to westerly much warmer than last few days, foggy overnight but still no rain.

Bad dose of "man flu", confined to sofa "she who must be obeyed at her best" help with those really difficult tasks when you are a bit poorly, stirring my tea and lifting the TV remote control so I could see the buttons.

Couple of pics from last summer just to cheer me up.

Tuesday 17th

Another sharp frost with bit of fog overnight still no rain eleven days now.

First GMFC Executive committee meeting of the year, spent most of day preparing for it.

Long meeting the first after the AGM always is. There must be a more apt title than "executive".

Full calendar for the summer to include lots of sausages and cakes.

Jonathan is getting the hang of front page so look out for his contributions to the blog. He has updated his CV page, and yes for the more nerdy readers there are issues with fonts, spellings, spacing and other imperfections to the HTML but it looks pretty good to me.

AND a picture of the inside of the Gurr garage that great resting place for long past there sell by date airframes, if you look carefully you could spot one of yours.

Monday 16th

Quite a sharp frost overnight the Geraniums have finally succumbed to the winter. Another cold but sunny day wind calm. No chance of flying to many tasks at home.

No repairs from the weekends flying, well except for Concept SRX which needs a complete overhaul and that will have to wait.

Ponder what to do to the Magnatila, flew fine but not using all the available fuel. Fitted a 450 cc tank a bit excessive you may think but having a trainer capable of 45 minutes plus flight saves time as you can swap students/instructors without having to land to fuel up.

But there are two problems with big tanks, one the pick up point is a long way from the carburettor and there is quite a larger difference in the height of the fuel. The perfect cure would be a pump and a small header tank. I have an old Merco 61 with a pump mounted on the back plate, should have been the perfect solution but the pipes come out in the wrong place when fitted into the short engine bay of the Magnatila. 

So will fit a header tank and locate a oscillating type pump to the Irvine 40.

Sunday 15th

Things go to plan, nearly.

Still dry with no rain for nine days now, cold but sunny and with the wind veering round to the south east the breeze doesn't help the wind chill factor.

Good turnout again, I made the fielded by midday and didn't forget anything.

The Magnatila flew superbly as I knew it would, just reduced the travel on the elevator and the aileron elevator mix. The Irvine 40 is adequate for the job but the very large fuel tank causes problems.

The Magnatila spent a lot of the day in the air with new members on the buddy box, it really is a great trainer.

Flew my Purple Pipe and raced Dave's Magnum, although the Magnum clearly had the edge, with a power difference of the Purple Pipes ASP S15 (2.5cc/42) against West Eurotech 52 (8.3cc/183) of the Magnum it should have been a lot greater.

Took my Concept SRX along should have given it a full service as it only just got of the ground and limped round the circuit a couple of times. Those three b****y P's again.

Had a go at starting the little Damsel Fly, after a bit of advice on where to insert the nozzle on the yellow bottle, of it went third flick, just proves once mastered you never forget how to start a diesel helped a little by Ken breathing on it last week.

Saturday 14th

Cold sunny and calm day. Superb but cold afternoon reported by the three members that went down the field.

Time for a quick test fly of the Magnatila?

No. She who must be obeyed goes shopping, early for once to avoid having to cut her afternoon's therapy session short in time for me to go indoor flying.

Very busy indoor session very busy. I didn't fly as I was supposed to be running this session and taking some photo's for the blog. Failed on both counts, running things Paul would have put on my report "must try harder" and after just two picture the batteries in the camera were flat. Those three b****y P's.

The couple of shots that were taken, sorry no idea of whose models these are.
Friday 13th

Weather still good but a bit cooler.

If I don't go flying today could get engine change in Funtana completed ready for Sunday.

"Wouldn't be better if you first made room on the bench for it" says she who must be obeyed, stating the startlingly obvious as usual.

By close of play, several "new" airframes have been discovered, some repaired others marked for storage. Unearth a West 36T2/R complete with Genesis Pipe just had to pop it into the test stand that I had found in the greenhouse on Wednesday and give it a run, awesome power.

Funtana still in attic unmoved.

Thursday 12th

The fine weather continues, we have now had seven days without rain. As an area of high pressure settles over the UK the wind direction will become northerly before veering more easterly it will stay dry but a lot cooler for the next few days. With clear nights and light winds there is always a possibility of fog which would be slow to clear at this time of year.

Didn't make it to the slope, the JW wing and Phase Six will have to wait a few more days, need to get some stick time with them ready for the SCSA pylon race on the 22nd.

Ran the Irvine 40 again in the Magnatila (above left) put a couple of tanks through it. Intend to make a quick trip to the field tomorrow for air test. Should be available for training on Sunday. Also gave one of the spare Irvine's a tank of fuel set up perfectly.
Wednesday 11th

Sunny morning light winds breeze increasing late afternoon.

Very frustrating day messing about with IC model.

Last Sunday I did several training flights with the club trainer but the cold was reducing the performance and duration from the batteries so when I came across a Flair Magnatila unflown in the back of the workshop yesterday I realised it would make a good trainer during the colder weather.

The Magnatila came via a clearance sale last summer, it has flown many years ago and is a bit tatty but structural sound. Installed is an old Irvine 40 with a plastic carburettor it's that old. Now practicing what I preach and to avoid ribbing at the field better give it a test run.

Secured to the workmate it started first touch of the starter after a couple minutes of perfect performance it just stopped, no fiddling could get it running again. Back on the bench the errant motor was removed partial dismantling revelled a crack in the rear crank casing (again a plastic part on old Irvine's).

A second Irvine 40 a recent eBay purchase with Jetstream (metal carburettor) was installed and secured on the workmate, this to started first time but would not peak out on the needle valve. Back to bench and remove second motor.

Now spend most of afternoon looking for third Irvine 40 without success!

Remove fourth Irvine 40 from Weston Magnum and install in Magnatila, then spend an hour repairing  outside lights as it's now dark. At least the fourth motor ran first time leaned and and throttled perfectly got half a tank through it before the smell of grilling bacon summoned me to food.

While putting workmate away find third Irvine bolted in a test stand on bench in greenhouse!!

I just hate IC!!!!!!!!!!


Tuesday 10th

Another good weather day, Paul has given the strip a light cut as the grass is still growing. No reports on any flying.

Didn't go quite to plan in the workshop, did a bit of sorting and maintenance. Spent some time making a hash of various pages on this site which Phil has kindly corrected.

So a few pictures from the Cocklebarrow Farm last August. Many members from the GMFC attended and most flew. Entered my first Tomboy 36 competition came 7th, must do better.

Just part of the parking area as seen from the Radio Queen. Tomboy 36 fly off just before battle commenced.
A couple of unknown models get airborne?
The Radio Queen returns from photographic sortie.


Monday 9th

Nice sunny morning went a bit cloudy and dull in the afternoon, light winds all day and still dry.

After three days flying I had no intention of flying. As I wrote a few days ago the more flying you do the more time you spend repairing/servicing. So lets have a look at the work load this morning.

A lot of batteries to charge, OK they charge themselves while you get on with other tasks, but even batteries need checking and couple of spark corroded/worn 4 mm plugs where replaced.

A wheel was refitted to the Sky Shooter and a new aerial of the correct length fitted to Damsel Fly's receiver.

Most of the afternoon was spent trying to resuscitate my E Flite Blade mCP X, on Saturday night it suffered a near partial shutdown, the main and tail rotor won't run and one servo seems to have failed. All three servos were removed dismantled cleaned tested, all working OK. Main and tall rotors also tested OK so the failure must be in the main board, have to order a replacement.

On eBay there is a company called iXtreme repairs offering a repairs service to mCP X main boards, will probably buy a new one then send this one for repair to see what they are like.

It is now four days since I touched the Slicker 42 this has become on going and my main priority for the next couple of days is to change the power plant in my IC Funtana 90.

to be continued.


Sunday 8th

Three cracking days in a row, light south westerly cloudy at times but not too cold, remained dry all day.

(Above) Great turn out  car park at lunchtime more to come, counted 22 by mid afternoon.

(Above right) Great array off models in the pits.

 The great thing about the GMFC has always been the shear range of models flying.

(Right) The dainty little Damsel Fly powered by a .5cc Albion Dart  diesel takes a Weston Magnum with it's 8.3 cc of brute power under it's delicate wing.

(Above) The club trainer flew several sorties during the day CB pauses or the camera before getting airborne to give prospective new member Tom some air time.

(Above) Paul G. tries to explain that it could be making more noise if you put a smaller prop on it.

One of the problems of writing this blog is that things come back to haunt you. My comments on the work bench being the place to set things up did not go unnoticed. Firstly Ken (above left) noticed the rather excessive movement in the controls, as I had forgotten to set the rates. Then my single filler/vent fuel tank came in for much amusement until I explained that it was best filled with a syringe except I didn't' bring one.

(Above right) Paul G. launches Damsel Fly for a perfect test flight.

Jonathan put in several flights with his petrol powered CAP 32.


Dave's large Kyosho Spitfire shortly before it's last flight, it's demise spoilt a rather good day.


Saturday 7th

Second flyable day in a row, light westerly wind sunny with no rain, the forecast looks good for the next few days.

Only Ken went flying it appears.

Usually when the weather is good the numbers flying indoors decreases, not so to night with one of the best turnouts of the winter so far.

Servicing of the my  mini model fleet was finished and all batteries charged. Thing about these small models they all go in one box. The observant among you will notice these are not the same eight from last night. The biplane has lost one wing, it's tail feathers, sprouted an extra motor and been repainted with a more Mediterranean colour scheme.
(Above left) Steve Ps T.rex 250 creeps up to the camera.

(Above) Andy R's new Blade ????

(Left) Jamie gets a T.rex 450 ?? down on the floor then just to prove he's just as good with fixed wing he hovers an Extra (Below left).

(Below) Mike F's Edge, its called an edge he says because it keeps hitting the edge!

(Above left) My half size Vernon Sky Shooter which I did get to fly and (above right) a half size Wigdon Wasp which I didn't fly. Of the eight models I took along I only got to fly four as I spent much time trying to sort my little mCP X.


Friday 6th

A fine morning cold calm at first with a gentle south westerly by lunch time. Sunny with no rain and not to cold.

Popped my ST MX2 in the car with a few battery packs and made the field by 1230. Kevin and Dave had been flying all morning. The ground has dried in the wind, the sheep are also grazing inside the track they are very useful but do leave some mess they probably will only be around for a few weeks before they go to adorn a supermarket shelf. Leg of lamb with garlic now there's an idea for Sunday lunch!

Two nice days in one week? Kev's P51 starts it's take off run.
My ST Models MX2, great model and excellent value for money circa 110.00 which includes motor ESC and four servos. Takes about 30 mins to assemble. It's weakest point is the undercarriage as this moved back on the fourth flight giving me yet another one of those minor repair jobs.

Note. On checking the link I notice that the model has been updated to include; "Strengthened internal undercarriage mounting for better rough field durability"

Back in the workshop prepare models for indoor flying Saturday night. I haven't flown indoors since mid December and a bit of servicing is required.

Of the eight micro models (left) only one, the blue Corsair is immediately flyable the others all needing rectification, most jobs are minor prop changes, or new "O" rings but these are far easier to do on the bench home than at Bentham.

And nearly forgot check batteries.

Thursday 5th

Gales overnight decreased during the day, sunny until afternoon when it clouded over, probably flyable late in the day.

So to make a start on the Slicker 42. The wing while elliptical in plan form with polyhedral is relatively straight forward with no mods required for conversion to radio control.

So I decide to crack on with the fuselage. Having identified the parts they have to be cut, just take my time. (Below left) Where required to make cut outs in parts I do this before cutting part from the sheet and make sure that the part that goes through fits. (Below left) I use a table top fret saw for ply wood and thicker balsa, with a selection of knives for thinner balsa.

One of the toughest jobs is the undercarriage on the Slicker this is formed from a length 10 gauge piano wire.

Modern piano wire is a bit hit and miss in it's quality, some soft as putty others so brittle it shatters when you try to bend it, the length in the kit was perfect.

Bending an under carriage is not difficult the right tools, bench vice, mole grips, hammer all play there part. The most important thing is to get the sequence right, start in the middle keeping the work symmetrical, work flat using the plan and then add any three dimensional bends last. Keep checking back and resetting bends before moving on to the next.

(Above left) Find the centre of the wire and mark first two bends

(Above Right) The first and easiest bend completed. Check for fit the small square of ply forms an infill with the wire passing round three sides, it also has to pass inside the engine bearers the ply square was trimmed to size.

(Right) Having checked position the second bend is started, this is the hardest bend to form. I got the bend started using a clamp then hammering, bending, squeezing and a bit of brut force keeps it going.

(Right) Keep checking and adjusting.

(Below left) Eventually you will end up with the two bends and the legs parallel, also check the undercarriage lays flat. Don't worry if the square round the former is not perfect it won't be seen when finished.

(Below right) Third and fourth bends relatively easy now.

(Above) Bends five and six form the axles. (Above) Bend seven, clamp top of undercarriage in vice and bend legs forward. The legs will twist as this bend forms, take this twist out using mole grips on the axles and twist the whole leg.

(Above) All the fuselage formers and undercarriage ready to go.

(Above) A dry run of the engine crutch and three main formers, the undercarriage goes on the front of the first former. This unit is the heart of the model tying the engine/wing/undercarriage together. Get this spot on and the rest will line up perfectly.

to be continued;
Wednesday 4th.

Bright morning with light winds the afternoon grey with some light rain.

Another day in the workshop.

One task left to complete the Damsel Fly was to manufacture a suitable fuel tank. The large majority of tanks on the market are designed for glow fuel so not suitable for diesel and to keep with the era of the model a small metal tank looks the best.

(Above left) Best source of raw material is an old metal can cut with metal shears, the wife's dress making scissors are quite suitable while she is out shopping, don't forget to clean and put them back how you found them.
(Above right) Clean and degrease metal and cut out shapes. I decided to make two tanks of about 5 & 10 cc. Also needed is suitable brass tube cut to length I am only using two pipes per tank with a common fill/vent pipe. To make the holes in the plate I drill a small pilot hole the use a tapered punch to open up to a tight fit this gives a good lip to solder to.
(Above left) I solder the pipes first fixing both ends, cut an angle or a grove at the pick up end and get it right into the corner don't get solder in the pipe.  (Above right) Slide the two halves together and clamp between two pieces of wood and solder remaining joints.
When cool a quick pressure check with a tube on the out pipe will show that you have not got solder in the pipes and then block the vent to check for leaks. When happy clean in thinners inside and out to remove all traces of soldering flux, then clean up any sharp edges with a file. You should end up with a tank looking something like the above pictures.

(Right) The smaller tank fitted to the pylon on the Damsel Fly ready to go.


Back in December at the club Xmas raffle I won a kit donated by club member Colin Buckle. Colin carries on the business started by his late farther producing a range of vintage style kits. Check out the full range at www.benbucklevintage.com.

The kit Colin kindly donated was the Slicker 42. a 42" span "pylon" duration free flight model designed around a Mills 1.3cc diesel engine, an engine of which I just happen to have a spare, brand new in the box.

The kit is very traditional, that's traditional with a big "T" the title "Printed Panel Kit" means what it says the balsa wood has the parts printed on to them and they have to be cut out. This is not a beginners model, having a elliptical plan form wing and tail surfaces plus a slick streamline fuselage no two parts are the same.
Obviously I'm not going to build it for free flight so conversion to radio has to be planned. A modern micro 2 channel rudder/elevator airborne pack weighs in at about 30 grams including pushrods servo mounts etc this weight has to be kept forward. As the plan shows the engine sits right under the wing leading edge so getting enough weight forward and keeping the rear end light is a major concern.

To be continued;

Tuesday 3rd.

Windy, Scotland experienced one if it's worst storms for several years with many places recording gusts of over 100 mph. Gloucestershire escaped these high winds, the mornings heavy rain cleared to a bright windy afternoon with the odd shower sometimes heavy with hailstones.

So to keep the blog going I need something to publish, so over the next few weeks I will bore you with the every day story from a shed, bit like the Archers but without the "steamy" bits and no signature tune, an every day story of modelling folk if you like.

On the days (normally very few) that domestic chores take precedent I have rummaged my computer files and have a cornucopia of unpublished pictures, most taken on nice balmy warm sunny days to wet your appetite for the summer that's on it's way.

So what's on the go in the shed at this time?

I suppose you can break this into four categories;

(1)                Current airworthy models and those requiring minor repairs or servicing.

(2)                Damaged airframes needing major repair or scraping.

(3)                Unbuilt kits and "new" projects in progress.

(4)               Old airframes awaiting refurbishment.

Of these four I am happy to say that group (1) makes up the bulk, but this is a bit of a double edged sword as I have found that I spend most of my time at the bench carrying out routine maintenance, particularly to helicopters. This time is of course proportional to the amount of flying done so in the last few months routine maintenance as been quick.

Category (2) I have very few of as most have been repaired or scrapped to make space.

Category (3) is the second largest group and some of the works in progress are several if not decades old. One small airframe for a Bristol Scout is probably over 20 years old, so old that I have upgraded the power train and radio gear 4 times and I still have to attach the wings! Started out with a small diesel, then electfied to geared brushed motor and eight NiCad's, it was a few months ago up graded again to a smaller out runner and micro radio gear when it does fly it will be at 60% of the original projected weight.

The number of airframes in category (4) is also very small, I completed the refurbishment of a JW (Joe Wurts) Wing just before Xmas. The next refurbishment was to be a Chris Foss Acrowatt that a picked up in a clearance sale during the summer. The fuselage is a new build and uncovered, the wings used are in need of recovering due a pretty naff colour scheme (not mine). However when I got it on the bench the covering turned out not to be Solartex but glass epoxy. This is very good but does mean a re-spray to change the colour scheme plus glass epoxying the fuselage and spraying to match, still worth doing but have wait for warmer weather to spray outdoors.

To be continued;


Bank Holiday Monday 2nd.

Bit of a contrast to the previous day, still windy but with sunshine cold in the wind, rain mid afternoon.

(Right) Kev's Fly-fly Hawk against a blue January sky. With the warm weather the grass is still growing.

(Below both) The Chairman's "Mega Twin" two Mega 16/15/3's turning 4.75" X 4.75" APC props off six cells gives it a good turn of speed, the Townsend rings on the front of each nacelle ensures a good airflow through motors and over the ESC's, plus a distinctive sound in flight.

Good turn out with quite a few new models on display but not flown due to the wind.

(Above both) Jonathans mini CAP 232. More details please.

(Left Both) Steve F's latest autogyro, built from a internet plan. Called the Gemini I think because it's fuselage and tail arrangement is very like the Miles Gemini light twin from the late 1940's.

Built from Depron and carbon tube with two EMAX CF2822 outrunner motors turning contra rotating GWS three bladed props.

(Below both) Damsel Fly vintage float plane from the Vic Smeed free flight plan.

Enlarged to 120% giving a wing span of 32.5 inches. An original Albion .5cc Dart superbly restored by Ken M. provides power.


(Right) Pit area mid afternoon, Dave's E-flite SU-26MM.

97" span 80cc petrol engine up front. I hope to do a feature on this model soon.

With the wind straight down the south west strip the eastern control line circle was in use all afternoon.

(Right) Danni gets a few pointers from Nick & George.

 Dave has taken over owner ship of Andy R's Rapier and of course re-engined it with a West 50 complete with tuned pipe.

(Below both) Dave tweaks the motor to max noise and Kevin launches. Impressive in the air and also doubles as an umbrella.



New Years Day Sunday 1st.

Weather as forecast breezy, cloudy, dull grey, very grey, but not cold despite the wind only the odd drop of rain.

Tracy & Paul provided a good supply of soup accompanied by my wife's bread.

About a dozen members turned out and enjoyed their soup and a chat.

Little flying was done, Jim F. flew his electric T.Rex 600 and I had one flight with my Mega Twin landed in one piece to get the first flight of the year over and done with though not that enjoyable in the conditions.

No pictures, the light was that poor.

Chris B,


Gloucester Model Flying Club