October 2011

Friday 28th

 A warm and sunny day and only a light breeze

2-george.jpg (99840 bytes)

2-george2.jpg (96211 bytes)

George with his vintage model and Tomboy

2-nick.jpg (65997 bytes)

2-kevin.jpg (55100 bytes)

Nick's indoor model

Kevin's Spifire

Thursday 13th

david2.jpg (69959 bytes)

david.jpg (85201 bytes)

David's Discovery
2nd October
Sometimes it really doesnít matter how much experience you have, there is still more to learn...and quite rightly so.  Something happened today, and it may be helpful to other members.
Nice calm, sunny, Sunday afternoon.  We donít have many like that!  Field was busy, yet not packed.  No-one flying when I arrived, just Paul Gurr riding up and down the strip mowing.  Usually take a couple of models, yet today I didnít expect to stay too long, only putting my Raptor 30 in the boot.  Done all my usual flight checks, everything as it should be.   Forgot that I had clamped the fuel pipe for filling (and wondered why it wouldnít start!), but we all do the odd mistake like that.  Heck, some have been known to fly with the glow still attached, but Iím sure Darren wouldnít like to be reminded of that!
Model was then started, Paul mowing the other end of the strip, everything looked safe enough to fly.  One last check of the cyclics, before switching off the throttle hold, lifting gently into the hover.  Gentle drift left, back to centre, drift right...just checking all was as it should be before setting off for a flight...then it happened!  No control at the sticks, but it was coming down!  Blades hit, and I was lucky that the heli sat on the skids, rather than led on itís side.  Now, what do you do?   How do you stop the engine with the remains of the blades still spinning?  How do you make it safe as quickly as possible?
Looking around to make sure people were at a safe distance, when a kind member came over with the offer of help.  He chucked his coat on the tail, slowing it down enough for me to dive in, grab the head and pinch the exhaust pipe shut, stopping the engine.  I barely had time to thank the guy before he was going back to the pits, but think he deserves a pat on the back.....I donít know him that well yet, only as ďDangerous DaveĒ.   What a great bloke!   Cheers Dave!  And quick thinking!  The heli is repairable, but the main thing is, no-one got hurt!
So what had caused the radio failure?  Stan spotted it first, and it was really stupid!  The battery connector had vibrated out of the socket!  That had cut power to the receiver.  Such a simple thing, and a servo clip will now be used to make sure it doesnít happen again.  Something so simple, I have them on the extension leads from the gyro, so why did I miss the one on the battery?   It was a firm connection, not loose when installed. How easy is it to overlook something like this?   Hope this may stop someone else making a similar mistake.

control-line2.jpg (97204 bytes)

control-line.jpg (100058 bytes)

George picks a quite spot for a rest

extra-jim2.jpg (81290 bytes)

extra-jim.jpg (93101 bytes)

Jim's Extra

spit-sunday3.jpg (107020 bytes)

spit-sunday2.jpg (81364 bytes)

Dangerous Dave's Spitfire

what-for.jpg (52346 bytes)

george.jpg (65024 bytes)

Jonathon's wot4 drops a bomb

George's Vintage model

chuncky.jpg (52897 bytes)

cb-mx2.jpg (51129 bytes)

hawk.jpg (81127 bytes)

stan-magic.jpg (82252 bytes)

Andy's Hawk

Stan's Magic


Gloucester Model Flying Club